Dienstag, 7. September 2021

A Foreigner In Kenya, Chapter 7

 In the matatu

In the matatu

In Kenya there are a lot of matatus. Transport is usually done by them. The streets are full of them. There are different types of matatus. One for short travelling, others for long, fast and slow.

One day I entered one of these matatus. I got a seat in front beside the driver. The driver was a young man with a moustache. I can remember him very good because at this time I also have had a moustache.

He started to talk with me. Anyway it was a small conversation.

As a Kenyan he complained about his life. "We are so poor!," he told me, not knowing that I read newspapers.



"Why you say this?," I asked him.

"We are poor, we have nothing."

"Is that true?," I asked him.

"Sure!"

"Can't be," I said.

He was amazed. "Why you said that?"

"Listen," I answered, "I have been reading the news. Some days ago there was an article in the newspaper mentioning that Kenya is doing good. This was an investigation done by the world bank."

"Cannot be!," he cried out.

"Hold on, I'm not finished. Next day there was another message in the newspaper, saying that's not true, that Kenya is poor and that Kenya is doing good in East Africa is a lie."

The driver nicked with his head. He agreed completely with what I said.

"And yesterday there was another article in the newspaper. You want believe it but it says that a lot of money is in the country. And when you calculate that less then 50 million people are living in Kenya - what a surprise - each of your guys have in your pocket or your bank account 12 million. Such a lot of money and you're still poor. "

He agreed." Yes, that's true, we are poor. "

" So you mean you don't have 12 million in your pocket? "

" Of course not! I am poor! "

I only could ask him." If you don't have that money in your pocket where is it? Someone else must have it, the question is only who got it? "

He was looking at me not knowing what to say. After some time he said:" They are lying. "

I haven't asked him who in his opinion is lying. For sure he wouldn't known it. For him all Kenyans are poor and that is actually what I found out: all Kenyans are poor. In this country no one is doing good all are suffering. If Kenya's wealth were equally distributed, then every Kenyan would have just this 12 million in his pocket, but because the wealth is unevenly distributed, the majority has to suffer so that a minority can live damn well.

The driver could not understand. Only few people can understand.

Later I got the news that in Kenya only 2 million people are paying taxes. I can't say if this is true. What I found out is simple, most people are self employed, that means no job. So it can be true. 


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen