Dienstag, 14. September 2021

A Foreigner In Kenia, Chapter 11

 


Kutembea - A walk. 

It's a beautiful day, the sky is blue, not a cloud to be seen. I have to get out of the system, have to stretch my feet. Sometimes I think I'm locked in here. But today I'm going for a walk, it has become more than necessary.

Right on the corner I meet the first drunk. He's calling from afar. I greet him with my hand, wave, go on. He has a shop there, distills schnapps, sells tomatoes and other things. When he's not drunk he perceives me, only when he's full does he scream around.

The path, a dirt road, with deep furrows, leads down. It's hard to walk here, I have to keep my balance on the furrows. That is not easy. Then in the valley is the morass, mud from the last rain. Then it goes a little uphill again, the bad road is over.

It's Sunday. The first church comes into view. I'm interested, I don't think anything bad, I hear voices. Suddenly a girl shouted: "Nyeupe! - a white man!" Everyone rushes out of the church, all children. They surround me with big eyes. You are amazed! Behind them the pastor, dismayed that the children stormed out of the church. I shake hands with everyone.

After a few minutes I can continue on my way. 



I see crap and garbage. Everything is simply thrown away here. I worry about that. Nobody cares about the environment. I have the feeling that people don't even see the dirt, the garbage, and haven't seen it either. Everyone is talking about climate change, everyone can see it, feel it, but nobody wants to do anything. It's not his climate, his air, his country. The fight against climate change starts with us, not anywhere, it starts at home. The political leaders have the power to combat the climate crisis and help us ensure a liveable future if they take action immediately to stop fossil fuel expansion and introduce just transition legislation that paves the way for a smooth shift to 100% renewable energy.

In the midst of a health and economic emergency, a green and just recovery will only be possible if the money is invested in real climate solutions, in healthier and more equitable jobs, in supporting communities across the country, and in protecting the planet.

I go to the river. Sit down and watch the water run past me. It rustles so nicely. I can relax well here. And when I look at the water flowing past, I think of Herman Hesse, Siddhatha. Here by the river, which is not a real river, but just a stream, I can understand his words. Life is like a river, it flows, even now that I'm resting, it pulls past me.

Some Bidaboda drive past me. You can drive, cars have a problem here, they touch the ground with the underbody, in the worst case the stones and that could have fatal consequences.

I go back. Two boys come towards me. "Mzungu, give me ten Bob!" I don't have anything, when I go for a walk I don't take anything with me, especially no money. The two are disappointed. I go on. After a few steps, a stone rolls in front of my feet from behind. I'm a little amazed, where does the stone come from? A second stone rolls past me. I turn around and see the boys throwing stones at me. That makes me angry. I pick up a stone and throw it back. The boys quickly disappear between the huts.

I go on. I am angry with myself. What angry did I get! This action is unnecessary! They were two idiots, I don't need to lose my nerve, I just have to stay calm, think clearly and not overreact.

All such sharp thoughts are just attempts to get hold of the truth. Often the pure gold flashes, but the net breaks under its weight, it is only made for goldfish! O brain! O heart!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen