Mittwoch, 22. September 2021

A Foreigner In Kenya, Chapter 14

 


Kuzaliwa - Birthday 



The monster's birthday has to be celebrated. Not unlike in Europe, that's what I thought. But later I had to experience that this is not the case. If you have outgrown your infancy, it is no longer celebrated. Not bad either. You are only reminded that another year is over and that the way to the grave has become shorter. Because I'm dying, a little note. We have more churches and chapels than houses, more priests and monks than lay people. On every street corner you are offered counterfeit relics and reports of false miracles. Religion consists of absurd outward appearances, fraternity has died out for sheer brotherhood. In every corner of the normal, dilapidated, ignorant, superstitious land hangs a dirty picture of the Madonna. We go to confession every month, but in our viciousness we perish all of our days until we die. No pagan is as barbaric and criminal as we Christians. And already John (2:15) said: Do not love the world

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the father is not in him. For everything in the world - the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does - comes not from the father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Let's leave that. It doesn't matter. Let me keep telling what happened next

A birthday party is needed! Every day I hear: "It's my birthday soon, what are we doing?"

Of course, an old man has no idea!

"Are you going to buy me a present?"

"I can buy you a little something," I say meekly.

I've lost my voice for a while! Old man where are you going

"I make a party!"

No contradiction allowed! End and pasta!

A cake is ordered. Big, green, with decorations and with an inscription, it must be, "Happy Birthday", then also your age. A lot of other things are also bought, everything else that is needed. A few bottles of wine should not be missing. We are terribly overloaded. Transporting it from the supermarket to your home is a real challenge. Half the matatu is full of shopping. The few people who still find space are amazed.


Kwanza nina furaha nitaimba na kucheza

Washa mishumaa weka keki juu ya meza

Oh ila usinicheke nimekuletea zawadi kidogo nilichobarikiwa

Aki mwana mpweke aje na dumu la maji asije kakumwagia

Ah ah na kapicha kako nitakoposti wasiokupenda itawacosti

Ah ah leo siku yako nishajikoki tuko rafiki zako tunasema


The day has come, this wonderful day, the birthday. I am determined that I have to cook. That's a little problem, I can't cook!

"Make Wiener Schnitzel !," determines the monster. It can not get easier. I would have done that before and it tasted good. So I cook it again.

The choice of meat is very important. Meat from animals injected with antibiotics should not be used. Now for the preparation

Let the pieces of meat (especially neck and stick chops) cut thicker. So you have enough time when frying to get a nice crust on the breading or on the meat; without the piece of meat frying. Set up a small breading street. One plate each with lightly beaten egg, flour and breadcrumbs (if you want, you can, for example, add a little salt / pepper to the egg / breadcrumbs)

Place the schnitzel in the flour on both sides (the flour ensures that the breading sticks better). Then knock off the flour well so that only a light layer of flour remains. Then pull through the egg and finally bread on both sides. Oil in the pan - a fine oil mixture is, for example, half butter, half organic olive oil. Bring the oil to medium heat and insert the breaded pieces of meat. Fry on both sides over medium heat. This is more convenient in a coated pan. But it also works well in a stainless steel pan.

That's how I intend to do it, but the butcher doesn't know what I want and what to do. This is how I get scraps of meat and not chops. Never mind, nobody knows the difference. (And now I'm hungry! Wiener Schnitzel, the national food of Austrians. In Italy it's called Escalope de Milanese, if I'm not mistaken.)

There are a lot of chefs in this world who claim to be able to prepare Wiener Schnitzel, but what they serve is anything but Wiener Schnitzel. That's the way it looks!

Jicksaw "helps" me cook. Active she stands in my way. Everyone is busy, the older daughter came with a skydiver. Skydiver also wants to help, but soon loses interest and prefers to play. Also good. The kitchen is cramped anyway and there are four of us trying desperately not to step on the other's feet. Jicksaw works like crazy. I just stand by and watch. That's how it works! I like it that way. That's how it should be.

This procedure is finally over. I can breathe easy. Jicksaw did it right, nobody was injured, we didn't have to go to the hospital either, so thank God, everything went well.

The monster and her daughter are still working, cooking Ugali and other things, setting up the table for the guests.


 Ah sinywagi pombe leo ntalewa niwape shonde waliochelewa

Zikinipanda monde nitapepewa ah pembe la ng'ombe au malewa

Ila usiforget kusema asante baba na mama walokukuza ukakua

Tunakupa na keki kwa wema akulinde baba maulana twakuombea na dua

Ah ah na kapicha kako nitakoposti wasiokupenda itawacosti

Ah ah leo siku yako nishajikoki tuko rafiki zako tunasema


"How many guests will be there?" I ask anxiously.

"Some," is the short answer.

I sneak away I know that I'm being watched, but no one is holding me back. They think I'm going to buy a birthday present, but far from it! I move quickly towards the bar. I need a beer! Nice cold beer!

Somehow I'm in a bad mood. The question that torments me is: am I invited or not? It seems strange to me. I don't know when the party starts, I don't know who's coming. What do i even know? All I know is that the monster has a birthday and is celebrating. That I made schnitzels. What else do i know? Yes, the most important of course, the beer is cold and that feels good.

Now I'm sitting in the bar, drinking a beer and watching a movie on my smartphone. Luckily they have wifi!

The beer will run out soon, my throat is dry, I feel out of place.

I'll have another beer, kill time. It's getting dark. The day comes to an end.

I decide to go. The celebration will now be over. I have not lost any of them. Not bad either.

Far from it, the party is still going on. I can hear the noise from afar.

I open the door, the living room is full of women. That must be around twenty women! It's hard to count, it's like the ocean, the waves come and go, it's never calm. They ate, were like locusts, left nothing. Or maybe! There are two scraps of carving in the kitchen. I eat them. Withdraw me They make a lot of noise!

Jicksaw is coming. "Come out, they want to see you!"

I go to the people. Only now can I admire these women. There are fat and thin, but all of them are beautiful.

The music is playing, I take the monster and try to dance with her, what I can't, just try. The women laugh, they clap their hands. After a few movements, I stop. Someone else wants to dance with me, but it goes very wrong. What I cannot do, cannot be done!

It is drunk. The monster sneaks through the ranks.

"How old are you today?" Someone would like to know.

She says her age. Then the woman takes a bottle of Coke and pours it over her head. Everyone screams, laughs, applauds! Everyone is happy, only the monster is a little nervous.


Kata keki kata 

oh kata 

kata kata unilishe

Keki ya jina lako

welsh na wenzako

tupo kwa ajili yako Kata unilishe

Oh basi kata 

oh kata 

Kata nipone 

kata 

Kata, Kata, Kata, Kata unilishe

Ah na kapicha kako nitakoposti


The party will be over soon. The food is gone, the drinks are gone, there is nothing left but to leave.


Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen