Freitag, 4. Februar 2022

Women and always women

Women and always women - Wanawake na tena na tena wanawake


You do not find a happy life, you build it.


Back in the village. Back in the highlands! Noticeable climate change, the wind is cool, the sun no longer burns the skin, it is quite comfortable to wear a jacket. It's not cold, but it's much fresher than in Mombasa or Nairobi.

The dogs, i.e. Mama Dog, named Jimmy, and the dog's son, named Gringo, are happy. They jump up on us, lick us, of course we're happy about that too.

We're tired and we're going to bed pretty soon. The day had been long and a bit exhausting, although we didn't do much. Most of the time we sat in the matatu, looked around, that was all.

Bananas are on the kitchen table. I like eating bananas, just don't like them when they're too sweet. I notice you. I want to eat a banana. My wife cleans the fridge.

"Can I eat a banana?" I ask innocently.

"No!" she replies dryly and without batting an eyelid. "I bought the bananas for decoration purposes3, so when we have visitors, our visitors can see that we have bananas."

Well, I have to take it that way. Which newspaper does it say when the man throws his wife out the window? Of course in "Better Living."

Next day. We slept well. Gringo woke us up, he really barked just before sunrise and not too little. The day begins quite pleasantly, the sun is shining, the wind is cool, that doesn't stop Gringo and me from going for a walk. Two men are standing at a gate, talking. As I pass by, one of the men says to me: "Buy me some bread!"

That's legitimate, I don't have anything with me, but most importantly the man doesn't look starving. Gringo and I, let's move on.

We're walking along the highway. The traffic is tolerable, a car passes by every minute.. As a pedestrian, I am alone with the gringo. After a kilometer the two of us have had enough, I sit down on a rock and look around. A young man with two companions comes by, he sees me sitting there and he thinks that is a rich man. He comes to me, gringo reports a stranger, he barks. I have to hold him back.

"Do you have a job for me?"

"I do not have any!"

"Do you know where there are?"

"I do not know either!"

"You are a visitor?"

"This is me."

They keep walking. And also gringo and I are going back.

We come back to the village, right on the edge of the village, a woman approaches me. She's standing on the street.

"Habariaku!," she greets me.

"Good morning!" I greet back.

"I would like to talk to you!"

"Yes, please!"

"I want to have a little dog of yours!"

I'm somewhat surprised. 

"Are you free?" she asks me. 

"No!"

I go on.

"Stop, I want to be with you recently!"

I'm not interested, I'll move on.

That's all for today. The day is over.


My makeup is dry and it clags on my chin

I'm drowning my sorrows in whiskey and gin

The lion tamer's whip doesn't crack anymore

The lions they won't fight and the tigers won't roar

So let's go and drink to the death of a clown

Won't someone help me to break up this crown

Let's all drink to the death of a clown

Let's all drink to the death of a clown

The old fortune teller left dead on the floor

Nobody needs fortunes told anymore

The trainer of insects is crouched on his knees

And frantically looking for runaway fleas


It would have been nice if the day had ended peacefully. Yet it is not so far. A pastor stops the two of us. "Where are you going?" he asks me kindly.

"I'm on my way home. Lunch is waiting."

"Have you prayed yet?"

"I don't need it, my wife can cook!"

But now the day is over.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen