Samstag, 30. April 2022

The journey back - Safari ya kurudi nyuma

 The journey back - Safari ya kurudi nyuma


Nairobi was quite nice. It was pleasantly warm, I didn't need a jacket, that was pleasant. The hotel was also quite nice, the people friendly. Most importantly, the beer was ice cold! Unfortunately, this is not the case everywhere. Unfortunately, it turns out quite differently. Well, sometimes I'm sitting in a bar. The waitress comes and asks what I'd like. "A beer please."

"Cold?"

"No. Lactose free."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Who started it?"

It can be like that. You just have to know how to help yourself.

The food was quite good too. I was in a Turkish restaurant. It wasn't quite as Turkish as I would have liked, but it was edible. There wasn't much to choose from, but I didn't have to wait long for that. Now I also have to write what I ate: Shawarma. What is shawarma? Definitely one of my favorite foods!

Shawarma is a little piece of heaven right here on earth. Shawarma is a lot like a gyro, kind of like a taco, but so different in many ways.

Shawarma is thinly sliced ​​cuts of meat, like chicken, beef, goat, lamb, and sometimes turkey rolled into a large piece of flatbread or pita that has been steamed or heated.

Inside the pita, foods like hummus, tahini, pickles, vegetables, and even french fries are added. Think of shawarma as a Middle Eastern-style taco or burrito.

How is shawarma prepared?


Raw meat is placed on large, rotating cones. As it rotates, the meat is cooked by a heat source that is located behind the actual cone.

The meat falls off or is thinly slowly sliced ​​by a chef with a large knife. It can take several hours to fully cook.

Shawarma is often served with fries, salads like tabouleh, falafel, and just by itself for a quick bite on the go. In some places, it is served alone, without pita or flatbread.

How to make Shawarma at home? Could be someone interested.

It's really hard to duplicate the taste of authentic shawarma without a tower. You can come very close, but there is still that "something" that is missing!

When buying your meat, try to get chicken. Dark meat (thigh meat) is the best for shawarma, but white meat will work, too. Ask your butcher or supermarket meat department to slice it very thinly. Ideally, the meat will be thinner than cutlets. (the spruce eats, make shawarma at home).


Let's leave that, I'm already feeling hungry, my stomach is growling as if it were angry with me.

Whenever I go to a restaurant, people always give me strange looks. I'm thin and tall. This conversation usually happens.

A fat man says to me, "Man, looking at you like that, you'd think there was a famine!"

To which I: "And when one sees you like this, one could think that it was your fault!"

That's right!

It's very different at my house. Should anyone be surprised that I write so much about my favorite food.

"Honey what's for dinner?"

"Nothing!"

"That was yesterday!"

"I also cooked for two days!"

That's how I feel! And that's no laughing matter!


I wasn't in Nairobi for long, only two days. I drove back early in the morning. It was about time. It rained during the night, the streets were wet, water-based paint, sometimes a small lake on the streets.

The Matatu driver knows me, at least he says so. I don't know him, I only look at beautiful women, men don't interest me! That should already be known.

Otherwise there is nothing special to report. The trip back was uneventful. Maybe one more thing that fascinates me again and again. The daily traffic jam on the highway towards Nairobi. I was just glad to be on the right page.

When I come home much too late, my wife asks me: "Where have you been for so long?"

"In traffic."

"Couldn't you overtake?"

"No, I was the foremost."

Kenyan ladies! What more do I need to despair? Thank you I have everything! And that's enough.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen