Sonntag, 17. April 2022

Nakuru

Nakuru - The eye never forgets what the heart has seen (African Proverb)


Nakuru is always worth a trip. It's true, I've always been blown away by the Rift Valley. This sight is majestic. But one after the other.

Kericho. We're still here. In the night we had undertaken a small city tour. The "new" man's dad was kind enough to show us something. It's now after breakfast, around 9:30 a.m., and the sun is shining. Dad takes us to the bus station, but before he goes there he does a city tour. This time we can see more. As already mentioned, Kericho is a small town, but well equipped. There's Kisii University, Mount Kenya University and a third university I've never heard of, I mustn't forget the Institute of Tea Research, which is on the outskirts of town where the tea fields end. There is also a hospital. It's quite a cute city, you could really fall in love with this little town..



i'm right where i wanna be

it feels good to be single and free

go shopping and spend some g's

Got no girlfriend stressing me



At 10 a.m. we are at the bus station. There is little fuel in Kenya these days. The divine goes to the office to get a ticket. She comes running out, dismayed.

"Now they charge 1000 Kshs to Nakuru. When we went from Nairobi to Kericho we paid about half that!"

"This is insane!," I can only agree.

Excited, she goes back to the office, speaks her language, the ticket seller listens and says nothing. The Divine is upset, which is understandable, at least for me. When she finally has to catch her breath, the ticket seller speaks up.

"I understand everything you said, I'm from the area too. Fine, I'll sell you the ticket for 500 Kshs!"

The Divine agrees with that and so do I. It's still expensive because it's not even half the distance we have to travel. We also know that many vehicles are queuing at gas stations to get fuel. This is a situation that has brought the country to a virtual standstill.

"When is the bus coming?" we ask.

"In about 15 minutes!"

We are waiting. Not much else is left. The bus is supposed to come at 10 a.m., now it is 10:15 a.m. and still no bus. We ask again, we get the same answer. And he really comes, at 10:30. 3 buses are coming. Which one is ours?

"Get on the 2nd bus!" we are told.

So let's get in. As everyone knows, the seats on the bus are reserved. Only our seats are occupied! We ask around, yes it's true, there are people sitting there right from the start!

"Are we on the right bus?" I ask.

There is still room in the last row. I sit down. The divine jumps out and asks. The ticket seller says if there is a seat on the bus, stay there. And that's how we do it.

The bus leaves and my eyes close. In Nakuru I wake up again.



I just blast off with my bitch

With a bottle of henny we gettin' real tipsy

I just been hustling I run the marathon

You know it's rest in piece nipsy

Many men hate me like 50

I'm sorry baby no kissing

I know you think you know me but you never did my nigga, fuck is you drinking?



We rented a small apartment in Nakuru. It's not as expensive as a hotel. The apartment is not far from the roundabout that one has to go through when coming from Nairobi.

Nakuru is the capital of Nakuru County in Kenya, was founded in 1904 and is the third largest city in the country with 570,674 inhabitants. Nakuru is located at an altitude of about 1860 meters above sea level on Lake Nakuru in the eastern part of the East African Rift Valley, also called "Rift Valley". (Wikipedia)

We post to get a taxi. My phone can't handle this application, I need the phone of the divine! The application does not open! No taxi! We later learn that this Wasiri application has been shut down pending fuel supply problems. There is a tuktuk, we ask. He asks 250 Kshs, that's too much for the divine. With our luggage it is hardly possible to drive a Bodaboda. We don't know where the apartment is yet, we have to look for it first. We get in, drive off.

After half an hour we reach the house, a woman has the key, she is already waiting for us. We settle in. We won't stay long, it's not that important.

"Are you here to visit?" the woman asks.

"No, for a haircut!" I reply.

She goes, leaves us alone.



Watch me flex flex flex this goyard

Member having F's on my report card

I was mixing Karo with the wokhardt

Now I'm pulling up I'm in a 2 door




In the evening we have a cozy get-together in a hotel. Some people have come, some are not really fit, they drank too much yesterday, are suffering from a hangover. What should it? Did you know that Kenyans are the nicest people in the world? They always come with 10 people and ask you: "Do you have a problem?" But where! Being together is pleasant. My Divine says: "Here in the hotel they also have a swimming pool, would you like to see it?"

"Maybe later."

"You want to see him now!"

I have to see the swimming pool. It's night, lamps illuminate the pool that's on the roof. I can see the city lights. Looks beautiful.

Back at the table I want to drink my cold beer.

"The beer is too cold!," states my divine.

It does not bother me. I drink. I drink, as is proper, from the bottle. I can't stand these glasses! toothbrush glasses! And the ones for drinking beer! Impossible!

"Don't drink so fast!," my divine can do today.

The food comes. It tastes good, is little, costs a lot. I have to think, why is the food so expensive? Even what is left out must be paid for. Clearly!

The waitress clears up. "How did you find our chicken?"

"Only by accident!"

The chicken camouflaged itself very well, I could hardly see it. Basically it was quite pleasant.

We're being driven home, that's quite pleasant. I am very tired.



Sunday morning I rise

And I stand to face a new dawn

Sunday morning a new day is born



What else can I tell about Nauru? Not much anymore. Nairobi is 1660m above sea level, Nakuru 1850m. It's a pleasant city, I could imagine living there. Comfortable climatic conditions.

After breakfast we go to the city, to the hotel where we stayed yesterday. I want and I need to relax. We are alone at the pool, nobody there. I can't stand it for long, I have to go into the water. And the water is freezing! It bothers me, but it can't stop me. The stairs into the water is broken, the last step is loose. But the water is gorgeous! Even if it's cold. I can really enjoy it. I can't stand it long in this cold water, I have to get out! What should it? The sun shines warmly down on me. I sit in the sun, stretch out. It is pleasant. We order a beer, what else, and a sandwich. It's so pleasant on this roof that I soon fall asleep, but it's not that easy.

"Are you sleeping?" asks the Divine.

Not any longer longer. "No."

"Go back to sleep!"

How could I? From the roof I have a wonderful view over the city and to the lake.

"Didn't you see the lake yesterday?" the divine asks me.

"How could I, it was dark, I only saw lights."

I fall asleep again. It won't be long before I'm brought back to reality.

"Are you tired?"

"Yes!"

This is getting on my nerves!



Such a long way to go

And so little time to get there

Such a long way to go

But I want you to remember

All the love we used to know

Think of me sometimes

My love.



Next morning we drive back, which won't be easy. It's Sunday, the buses are waiting for passengers. It's 8 o'clock, 3 people are sitting in the bus, they should be sitting, because 2 have reserved their seats, have left. We get on the bus. Waiting. It takes, it takes, it takes... Somehow this gets on my nerves. Surely everyone can understand. Here in Kenya it's going in the right direction: For me it's just a small step on the brakes. For many, it's a big step forward. That's how you can see it. I get upset. Naturally. To the Divine I say, "We've been waiting for so long, let's screw the bus driver! We paid, let's take another bus."

The Divine rolls her eyes. We stay seated and keep waiting. The bus only fills up after 11 a.m. Finally we can leave.


Morning morning, sad day

Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Morning morning, sad day

Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen